Prepare for flooding

Protect yourself from future flooding

Plan how you’ll respond to a flood. Use a template to make a:

Protect your property

You can:
You may need permission to do work that will affect the flow of a river or divert flood water.

If you own a riverside property

If you own property next to a watercourse, for example a river, culvert, brook or mill stream, you must:
  • Maintain river beds and banks
  • Not obstruct the water flow

Read guidance on the rights and responsibilities of owning a riverside property.

Further Information

Contact the Environment Agency if you have questions about your responsibilities.
Environment Agency
Telephone: 03708 506 506
Minicom: 03702 422 549
Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm


If your property’s next to a canal Contact the Canal and River Trust to check who’s responsible for maintaining the canal.
If you have a disability or need extra help
Ask your council if you can be put on a list to get extra help during a flood.


Telephone: 0345 988 1188
24-hour service


Citizens Advice can help make sure you’ll get support if your energy supply is affected.
Ask Floodline to send flood warnings to a friend or relative on your behalf.